Pilgrims



Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?: And I said, "Here am I; send me!"

~Isaiah 6:8


Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Press On


Sometimes in my faith walk, I feel like I am moving a huge boulder. I struggle with the daily challenges and feel the weight of all my past sins pressing down on my consciousness. And you know, sometimes I just get tired of pushing...and I forget that I am not pushing on my own strength. I become weary and the path ahead seems just too much to bear. I want to stop, rest, and even look back to where I have been because at least that road is more familiar and easier to walk now that I have created a pathway.
It is a dangerous time to stop and reflect on the past. We can either become entranced by our "accomplishments" allowing pride to seep in, dangerously creating a detour from our divine purpose and instead focused on our personal recognition and earthly rewards, OR we might become weighted down by our past sins, allowing shame and guilt to weaken us, removing our strength as part of the greater common good and once again thwarting kingdom growth.
I think this is why the Apostle Paul tells us in Philippians 3:12-14:
12Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
This Sunday we studied this particular scripture, and one quote from Mike really spoke to me - "Staying in the process is MORE important than the product at any given moment". I loved that thought. That is what Paul is saying and that is our best instruction on our journey. PRESS ON - we will never arrive until that final day. PRESS ON - a better day awaits. PRESS ON - there is more growth ahead. PRESS ON - you can rise above this sin. PRESS ON - don't rest in your laurels or become drowned in your self loathing. There is a promise ahead - keep your eyes on the prize and continue moving forward.
To move forward, we must always be aware that it is not our own power that pushes the boulder, it is the Spirit within us, strengthening us, and directing us when we are pushing in the wrong direction. This is where the disciplines come in. I can't connect to the energy source within if I don't know where to plug the cord! Through regular discipline of prayer, reading The Word, and devoting my time in service to others, I can become connected to the Spirit within. These are my "outlets" to plug in to! And of course Paul has words on that too in this same letter. Philippians 2:1-3
1If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. 3Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.
Being like-minded: Reading The Word
Being one in spirit and purpose: Prayer
Consider others better than yourselves: Servant heart
That boulder will continue to PRESS ON if I continue to PLUG IN...

1 comment:

Mike Moses said...

jaye - i love this posting (and a bunch of the others). thank you for your insightful way of reflecting on Scripture thoughtfully (not just reacting to it), then speaking/writing it in ways that help me and the many around you understand and live it better -mike moses