Pilgrims



Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?: And I said, "Here am I; send me!"

~Isaiah 6:8


Friday, August 20, 2010

Peacock Feather or Violin

Lately I have been practicing Centering Prayer - a special prayer practice that is similar to meditation but with a different destination point. In meditation, one quiets the soul in a search for total self awareness - but in Centering Prayer one is silencing oneself in a search for total God awareness. Meditation - all about self... Centering Prayer - all about God.

The struggle against self has always been the biggest obstacle in my spiritual journey. It always seems to come back to this. This is why I am appreciating this time working on Centering Prayer. In order to reach the point of equanimity - where you reach full realization that there is nothing that is NOT God - I have to push my "self" out of the way. That's a lot of pushing for me...

In one of the books I am reading on Centering Prayer - "Centering Prayer and Inner Awakening" the author Cynthia Bourgeault warns to be wary of peacock feathers - those times when your ego is smugly glowing within its comfort zone. This can be tricky stuff - because sometimes these peacock feathers can seem like really good things - the high from a "God Moment" that you want to share with others, satisfaction that you did the right thing, serving diligently in church, helping others - all these can be peacock feathers if "self" is the center of the story and not God. The thing about peacock feathers is that they can be admired by others, and are truly beautiful to look at, but they are only important to and controlled by the peacock - and they don't invite others to join in.

Now violins on the other hand are more representative of where the Centering Prayer will take you. Violins produce beautiful soothing melodies that allow music from the Master to flow into the surrounding and be absorbed by those within its hearing. Violins promote harmony and community (even symphonies !). A violin requires dependency on the violinist to play the notes and recognizes it is useless without the Master - and that any recognition is not for the violin itself, but for the music it helps to create.

No comments: