Pilgrims



Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?: And I said, "Here am I; send me!"

~Isaiah 6:8


Sunday, September 19, 2010

For The Glory of God

Well, I am stuck...

In this first week of the study "No Other Gods" we are asked to reflect on our skills, talents, resources, passions and areas of expertise. Well - I am stuck on what my "talent" is...

It is not like I can do anything that is an obvious "talent" - I don't sing, dance or write poetry. I am not an artist or actress. I can't use power tools. I don't have a knack for decorating. I am a fair cook - but not by any stretch a chef. I really would never consider entering a talent show.

So - I am stuck...can't figure out the answer to the talent question. But is talent really important? Maybe having no talent is a blessing...it keeps me more on the track of humility. Because I think if I had a real awesome talent I might be tempted to become prideful or selfish. Perhaps I would start taking full credit for whatever product my talent created. Perhaps my talent would become one of my idols - consuming my life while I basked in the shining light of myself. The spotlight would be turned on me instead of outward as a reflection of God.

But I am not off the hook with no talent - it doesn't allow me to reduce my efforts or excuse my inaction because 1 Corinthians 10:31 says "Whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." SO - WHATEVER I DO (talentless person that I am) should be for the glory of God. Now this is a different can of worms to work through.

How do I do all things for the glory of God? What does that look like? How do I shine God's light outside myself into the world? How do I use the (minimal) skills I posses to further HIS glory - not my own? These are all "heart" questions and can be piercing realities to sift through. I have no answers now, but hope to at least dig down a level or two.

Today - in a book I am reading "After You Believe" by N.T. Wright, this quote struck home with me as to the reason we are asked to have no "idols" and why it is so critical to become God centered and evaluate my own skills and talents for their purpose:

"...just as ancient rulers might place statues of themselves in far-flung cities to remind subject peoples who was ruling them, so God has placed his own image, human beings, into his world so that the world can see who its ruler is. Not only see, but experience. Precisely because God is the God of generous, creative, outflowing love, his way of running things is to share power, to work through his image-bearers, to invite their glad and free collaboration in his project."


Image-bearer of God...now that is something to ponder. God does not want us to craft idols in any form because WE are his statues. WE reflect Him to the world....


No comments: