Pilgrims



Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?: And I said, "Here am I; send me!"

~Isaiah 6:8


Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Another Puzzle Piece in Place!

I believe I have found another piece in my puzzle of the Middle Class Paradox...

While concluding the study of Psalms of Ascent the next to last Psalm (133) sings of unity. How wonderful it is when brothers are united and live together in harmony.

So - I have been reflecting on our current events and how the past several years have sort of squeezed the middle class, pushing more folks down instead of up in their social mobility. Likewise, the very recent financial events are forcing us to really take stock in our personal priorities as we must shed our abundance (lighten our load) for survival. I have to believe that there is a grand design in all of this - so I am carefully pondering on the greater possible picture.
We have some clear choices here as individuals while we go through these personal inventories. If we are in the middle class, do we continue to separate ourselves, defining the distinctions that classify us as "middle" rather than "low" income level? Or perhaps, we can unite with those who are suffering even more, and learn from each other. Obviously, the middle income group has weakness in a Godly relationship (or at least on external dependence on a greater being than ourselves), and the low income group has weakness in aquiring the basic needs for survival.

I can't help but wonder if the current world events are God's way of forcing us to blend together in harmony. But, can we answer His request? Can we live in harmony understanding the benefits that can be mutually derived from shared life perspectives that ultimately increase our relationship and understanding of God's great design? Or, will we continue to try to isolate ourselves in fear and selfishness, afraid to release control and determined to project our place in the social continuum? It is a shame if we let this opportunity to grow relationally and purposefully together to pass us by.

Today - God sent these scriptures to me and I believe He was helping me with puzzle pieces:

Micah 6:8
But he's already made it plain how to live, what to do, what God is looking for in men and women.It's quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbor, be compassionate and loyal in your love,And don't take yourself too seriously— take God seriously.

Matthew 25:35-40
"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Enter, you who are blessed by my Father! Take what's coming to you in this kingdom. It's been ready for you since the world's foundation. And here's why: I was hungry and you fed me, I was thirsty and you gave me a drink, I was homeless and you gave me a room, I was shivering and you gave me clothes, I was sick and you stopped to visit, I was in prison and you came to me.'
"Then those 'sheep' are going to say, 'Master, what are you talking about? When did we ever see you hungry and feed you, thirsty and give you a drink? And when did we ever see you sick or in prison and come to you?' Then the King will say, 'I'm telling the solemn truth: Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me—you did it to me.'


I would say that God is pretty obvious in shining a light for our way...if we want to follow HIS way!

No comments: