Pilgrims



Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?: And I said, "Here am I; send me!"

~Isaiah 6:8


Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Fractals

Until I read "The Shack" I had never heard of fractals, or maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention in High School math when we covered that subject. So needless to say, I was intrigued when this word fractal came up and I could not figure out why Sarayu (the Holy Spirit) would say that she loved them. So I have begun a discovery of fractals.

Here are some pictures of fractals:
And here is the definition of a fractal:

fractal:

A complex geometric pattern exhibiting self-similarity in that small details of its structure viewed at any scale repeat elements of the overall pattern. See more at chaos. Fractals are often associated with recursive operations on shapes or sets of numbers, in which the result of the operation is used as the input to the same operation, repeating the process indefinitely. The operations themselves are usually very simple, but the resulting shapes or sets are often dramatic and complex, with interesting properties

Now this is something I can have fun with! Imagine God sitting in heaven and using his unique perspective to create these glorious fractals - through nature AND through our human events. I love that fractals are within themselves very simple, but the end result is very dramatic and complex. Isn't that exactly what life is all about! We are all just part of a giant fractal. Each daily occurrence carefully pre-ordained to form part of an extremely complex planned final product. I sort of feel that I am on the very edge of understanding a universal truth.
Just this morning, while studying Psalm 132, and learning the messianic prophecy from verses 17-18, it hit me that in all of our history God has never changed. He has remained true to his promises, but he has used repeating patterns of human behaviour to create His ultimate design. Human history has been a giant fractal of interlocking events of similar design uniquely situated to create a design that has infinite (or eternal...) potential.
Consider the parallel between a song to David and his glorious crown and his priests who are clothed in salvation and our own promise of salvation through Christ who wears the crown. There are many examples of these simple, self similar parts of a whole throughout the Old and New Testaments and even in our lives today.
Just like Sarayu - I love these fractals too!!

No comments: